Atomium

Brussels, Belgium

Atomium

Story

The Atomium was never meant to last. André Waterkeyn designed it in 1955 as a temporary centrepiece for Expo 58 — a six-month wonder, then demolition. Instead, Brussels kept it, neglected it for four decades, and eventually spent €26 million putting it back together between 2004 and 2006. The renovation changed something fundamental: the original aluminium cladding, already tarnished, came down sphere by sphere, replaced with stainless steel — primarily iron, which makes a quiet kind of sense for a structure representing an iron crystal magnified 165 billion times.

The geometry is the thing. Nine spheres arranged as a body-centred cubic unit cell: eight at the corners of an invisible cube, one at the dead centre. Of the nine, only six are open to visitors — the three upper outer spheres carry no vertical supports and stay closed to minimise the structural load of foot traffic. That absence is part of the logic. Waterkeyn's original plan called for no leg supports at all on the lower outer spheres either, but wind tunnel tests revealed that an 80 mph gust would topple the whole structure. The support columns appeared quietly, a concession to Belgian weather.

At night, LED strips integrated into the steel meridian plates of each sphere light up in sequence — a visual approximation of an electron ranging around its nucleus. Ingo Maurer, the German industrial designer, handled the interior lighting after the renovation. The central tube still carries a lift that once ran at 5 metres per second, fast enough to put 22 people at the top sphere in 23 seconds — the fastest in Europe when it opened.

The name itself is a portmanteau of atom and aluminium, coined before the aluminium was gone.

What to Spot

Three of the nine spheres — the upper outer trio — have no support columns beneath them and no public access; seen from ground level, they sit visibly unsupported at the upper corners of the cubic arrangement, set apart from the six spheres with visible connecting tubes and legs below.

Bonus Finds

  • The boomerang-shaped roof of the reception pavilion added during the 2004–2006 renovation — a low modernist gesture at the base of the structure, distinct in form from everything above it.
  • The concrete esplanade at the foot of the building, rebuilt during renovation, features a continuous bench running its perimeter — the long step and bench are visible from the approach and were not part of the original 1958 design.
  • The oblique connecting tubes between spheres contain some of the longest escalators in Europe; the longest runs 35 metres — the angle of the tubes makes this visible from outside as a diagonal geometry cutting through the structure.
  • Pieces of the original aluminium cladding removed during the 2004–2006 renovation were sold as souvenirs; a triangular section roughly 7 feet long sold for €1,000. The Atomium's own shop carries documentation on this — worth checking for any surviving display panels on the history of the renovation.

Share your finds and tag us — @scavtopia.

Plan your visit

View details →


Scavtopia turns this place — and any place — into an adventure. Join the waitlist.

Photo: Zairon / CC BY-SA 4.0

Scroll to Top